Wednesday, December 03, 2008

It's Not Like I Didn't Know This Was Coming


Last night, The Girl and I sat down for The Talk. She'd been "hearing things" at school and had a lot of questions for me and, while I’ve been preparing myself for this since practically the day that she was born; it was uncomfortable for both of us.

I answered her questions as honestly as I could and tried my best to describe to her exactly how her father and I feel about the issue. I told her that it is ok if she is confused and disappointed and even a little bit sad. I expressed my agreement that it seems wrong for adults to do it when they teach their children not to but, that in time, when she is grown up with children of her own; she will come to enjoy the practice as much as her father and I have all these years.

After all, it isn’t really a lie; it’s more like a really well-intentioned fib meant to instill a sense of wonder and excitement in children at Christmas time. And, as long as you believe, then Santa is real.

Wait, what?

Did you think I meant the sex talk?

Please, I just destroyed the child’s faith in the Spirit of Christmas; the easy stuff can wait for another day.

3 comments:

  1. I am just glad to know that I still have a few years left with my son!! He is seven and last year struggled with doubts, but he still believes. And I don't think I will ever tell him any different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What??!! I still believe in Santa Claus...but I will believe in anyone who brings me presents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading this soooo feeling your pain of the "sex talk" and then ... LOL SANTA!! U know sunshine was like a Freshman when I fianlly HAD to break the news myself because I didn't want her getting made fun of!!! lol to be sooooo BLONDE!! lol gotta love her.!

    ReplyDelete