Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Why Do I Always Get Myself So Worked Up About the First Day of School?

This morning went remarkably well. Shocking.

My alarm went off at 6:15 and I stumbled to The Girl’s room to wake her. Not only was she already up, showered, dressed and ready to go; she was in the process of combing her brother’s hair, her brother who was likewise dressed and ready to go. I’m fairly certain it is one of the seven signs of the apocalypse so, you might want to consider stocking up on the canned goods and bottled water now.

The Man-Cub requested a sack lunch to take to school so I whipped out a sandwich while the kids ate their breakfast and made their beds and, before we knew it, it was time to leave the house. Since it is a nice day, The Girl walked the block and a half to the Middle School while the Man-Cub and I walked to the Elementary School a half mile down the road. The Girl didn’t mind going on her own since, as you may recall, I embarrass her.

When the Cub and I got to school, we met up with several of his baseball teammates and their mothers and chatted briefly before entering the building. Once in the classroom, I introduced myself to the Cub’s teacher and made a quick sweep of the seating assignments to make sure the Cub wouldn’t be sitting near any of his friends, quite a few of whom are assigned to the same teacher. Apparently, this isn’t the teacher’s first rodeo, however, and I was pleased to see that the Cub will be surrounded by girls while his friends are scattered throughout the classroom, also surrounded on all sides by girls. The seating arrangement is so calculated, it’s almost diabolical and, I think I am going to like this teacher.

After settling the Cub in, I walked the half mile back home and am now enjoying the quiet solitude of an empty house. Hugh is already at work and I had forgotten how peaceful school days could be; maybe I won’t lament the loss of summer quite so much after all.

3 comments:

  1. WOW up all by themselves?? I only have ONE who can do that!!!! I told you today would be a breeze!! I LOVE my (back to school) mornings! NO MORE CARTOONS!!!!! Let's check back in Dec. and see if mornings are still so easy.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is just lovely.
    I agree the apocalypse is upon us; just check out the National League baseball stats and know that I am from Chicago. Gasp...I've said too much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, do I envy you. Solitude, the kids up AND ready without a fight. I want your life. And BTW your kids are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete